Coughing is a normal reflex of the body. You will keep on coughing if there is something that obstructs your throat and airways. Coughing is a bit irritating but your body needs to do it. It is, after all, the only way that your body can clear your respiratory organs. However, sometimes it is very helpful if you know how to stop a cough especially when it hinders you from doing important things.
How to Stop a Cough Based on Its Type
When you feel that your coughing is already such a serious disturbance to your work, it may be time for you to learn how to stop a cough. There are two types of cough: chronic and acute.
An acute cough is actually the most common. Everybody usually experiences this type of cough when they have a flu or cold. On the other hand, a chronic cough is more serious compared to the acute type. The need to know how to stop a cough is felt with both types of cough though. But this is more important when it comes to chronic cough. More often than not, when a person experiences chronic cough, he might have an underlying serious condition which include the following:
- Chronic allergies
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Several throat disorders
Natural Ways on How to Stop a Cough
There are different effective but natural ways on how to stop a cough. The following are some effective natural remedies on how to stop a cough.
- You can make use of a warm tea. Add one tablespoon of honey and a squirt of lemon to a cup of tea. A tablespoon of honey is very essential because this will coat your throat. This is one effective way on how to stop a cough.
- You can take a warm bath or shower. The steam from a warm bath will hydrate the passages of your throat thus stopping your cough. Take the warm bath within at least 10 minutes and take a deep breath, breathing the warm steam. This is very therapeutic.
- You can also drink hot milk with honey. You need to prepare a glass of milk with one tablespoon of honey. You can drink it very slowly before going to bed. This will prevent coughing during night time. The warm milk will help you enjoy a very relaxing sleep.
- You can also chew a peppermint gum or candy. Peppermint candies will soothe your throat.
- Humidifying the air that passes through your room will help you stop coughing. You need to remember always that dry cough is exacerbated by dry air. You need to install an effective humidifier in order to increase the humidity in your room. This will not only stop your coughing; this will also reduce your susceptibility of having upper respiratory tract infections.
- Vinegar is capable of stopping cough. You can add a few teaspoons of vinegar to your glass of water. You need to drink it very slowly when you feel the urge that you need to cough. The vinegar will help reduce the inflammation of your throat. Vinegar is another useful ingredient on how to stop a cough.