Coughing is the body’s reflex to get rid of excess mucus in the body. It aids the body to clear out the airways and get rid of the irritants and foreign matters. However, coughing can get very discomforting at most times. Aside from the constant coughing, you’ll also experience sore throat, sleepless nights, and pains in sinus and head. It can seriously put a stop to what you are doing at work, in school or at home. It makes a person unproductive and weak. Without learning how to stop coughing, you may never feel relieved.
How to Stop Coughing
Before you’re able to learn how to stop coughing, you must learn what a cough is medically and its possible causes.
There are two classifications of cough: acute and chronic coughing. Acute cough is coughing for more than two weeks while chronic cough is a kind of cough that is persistent for over two weeks. A common cough usually lasts for only two weeks. If your cough is chronic and recurs quite often, you should see a medical doctor for potential remedies on how to stop coughing without delay.
There are numerous possible causes of cough. Here are some of them:
- Viral Infections (such as bronchitis and pneumonia)
- GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Sinus problems and post nasal drios
- Weather Changes
- Allergies (dust, smoke, chemical fumes, pollen)
In other cases, coughing may not be the sickness in itself. It can also be a warning sign of a different illness. Learn how to stop coughing by indicating its cause first.
Ways on How to Stop Coughing
Since cough is a common sickness, there are natural remedies on how to stop coughing. In fact, you can get things in your kitchen that can aid you feel relieved and cured. Here are some of them:
- Water – An increased intake of water helps break down mucus in your throat, which makes it easier to cough out. It is recommended to be hydrated at all times to aid in removal of excess mucus.
- Garlic syrup – this is one of the usual ways on how to stop coughing. You can buy a bottle in an alternative remedy store or make your own at home.
- Hot lemon tea – Lemon tea has a natural soothing relief for any sore throats. The added lemon boosts up your immune system as well. You may also add honey for extra shield to your throat.
- Ginger – Mix half tsp of ground ginger and 1 sp of honey in a container. Take this cure one to two times a day to aid you on how to stop cough naturally.
- Onions and Honey – this is another one of the effective home remedies on how to stop coughing. Simmer chopped onions in water until soft. Mix honey with onions. Strain the onions. Drink 2 tablespoons in one day or more.
Unfortunately, coughing can also be a sign of a severe disorder. If your cough comes with symptoms such as green phlegm, blood, hoarse voice, laryngitis, and others, you should seek a doctor’s help on how to stop coughing.