Cough is the body’s natural way to eliminate excess mucus and irritants. However, while it is generally healthy and fundamental, coughing can bring serious discomfort to an individual. In fact, it may hinder your productivity at work or even at home. This makes it vital for everybody to learn how to stop coughing.
There are three types of cough: acute, subacute and chronic. A cough is acute when it lasts for one to three weeks. It is generally caused by common cold, viral infections like pneumonia and flu, as well as irritants in the air and smoking. A cough is considered subacute when it lasts for more than three weeks. It can remain even when your sickness is cured. Lastly, a cough is chronic when it lasts for eight weeks or more. This is when you should contact a medical expert to help you how to stop coughing.
How to Stop Coughing with Home Remedies
Instinctively, when a person suffers from coughing, you’ll search for quick remedies to feel relieved. One of the how to stop coughing remedies we first think of is taking medicines. While these over the counter drugs are proven to be perfectly safe for humans, it still contains certain chemical ingredients that can have serious side effect on your body. Without proper precaution, you may suffer from complications instead of cure.
Since cough is a common condition, there are natural ways on how to stop coughing. In fact, you can find items in your kitchen that can help you feel relieved and cured. Here are some of them:
- Water – An increased intake of water helps break down mucus in your throat, which makes it easier to cough out. It is recommended to be hydrated at all times to aid in elimination of excess mucus.
- Hot lemon tea – Lemon tea has a natural soothing relief for any throbbing throats. The added lemon boosts up your immune system as well. You may also add lemon for more protection to your throat.
- Garlic syrup – this is one of the classic ways on how to stop coughing. You can purchase a bottle in an alternative medicine store or make your own at home.
- Onions and Honey – this is another one of the effective home remedies on how to stop coughing. Simmer chopped onions in water until soft. Mix honey with onions. Then, strain the onions after boiling for 15 minutes. Drink 2 tablespoons in one day or more.
- Ginger – Mix half tsp of ground ginger and 1 sp of honey in a container. Take this remedy one to two times a day to help you on how to stop cough naturally.
How to Stop Coughing Medically
Unfortunately, coughing can also be an indication of a serious ailment. It can be a symptom of another worsening condition that needs medical attention. If your cough comes with symptoms such as green phlegm, blood, hoarse voice, laryngitis, and others, you should immediately seek a doctor’s help on how to stop coughing.