Cough is a common medical condition experienced by humans. We all experience this at least thrice a year particularly during cold seasons. While it is a natural, common body reflex, it can cause serious discomfort to patients who are suffering from it. Aside from constant pains in the throat, you may also experience sleepless nights, sinusitis, and other complications.
Children suffer the most from cough since their fragile, underdeveloped lungs are still unable to handle viral infections effectively as well as protect their body from common sicknesses. Definitely, we all have to learn how to stop coughing fast.
There are three types of cough: acute, subacute and chronic. A cough is considered acute when it lasts for one to three weeks. It is caused by common cold, viral infections like pneumonia and flu, as well as irritants in the air. A cough is considered subacute when it lasts for more than three weeks. It can stay even when your illness is cured. Lastly, a cough is chronic when it lasts for eight weeks or more. This is when you should get in touch with a medical professional to aid you how to stop coughing.
How to Stop Coughing
There are lots of over the counter medicines that you can get to aid you on how to stop coughing. However, ensure that you have your doctor’s approval first before you take them. Since these medicines may include chemical ingredients, you cannot add dosages for relief.
Fortunately, you can get so many home, natural remedies that can successfully help you on how to stop coughing. Here are some:
- Water and juices. Drinking plenty of fluids can help break down and melt the mucus in your throat and in your nose; thus, it is easier to cough out.
- Warm water with salt. Salt water has been an effective remedy for sore throat as well as coughing. It eases the throat of its inflammation and cleans it as well.
- A cup of grape juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey is advised for cough relief.
- If you have allergies to certain food or substances, stay away from them if you want to be doing well in how to stop coughing.
- Citrus fruits provide your body with the nutrients and vitamins it requires to help your body fight infections as well as improve your immune system.
Other Methods on How to Stop Coughing
Here are other methods on how to stop coughing:
If your house is dry during winter, use a humidifier and a cool-mist vaporizer in your bedroom at night. This can help break down the mucus in your throat. However, make sure to thoroughly clean the vaporizer every other time.
Try eating hot chili peppers, green chilies or other spicy foods. They will aid loosen the mucus, which is very helpful on how to stop coughing.
Quit smoking cigarettes. Passive smoke or other irritants, such as chemicals, can also cause coughing. Other chemicals may also be irritants like household cleaners, new carpeting, paneling and mattresses. Avoiding these may assist you on how to stop coughing.